Did you know that you will fade? Wither? Pass away?
And long after you are gone, the Word will endure?
The Word of God is such a real part of Him; It is eternal, just as He is. His Word is truth, and Jesus tells us He, Himself, is the Truth. We must love the truth as we must love Jesus and we must love the Father. He is the same forever and the Word which endures forever, never ends.
Therefore, for us to endure forever we want to be ONE with The Word as we find in v.24
At the beginning of Chapter 2, we find a “therefore”. It points back to the fact of God being truth, Jesus being truth, and our need to love the truth, in order to say, truthfully, that we love Jesus – So:
Therefore, we should rid ourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind.
These forms of wickedness are the opposite of true love and mark us as disobedient to the Word. Look at them more closely, below, and remember, it says rid your SELF of these things, not others.
- Malice: ill will, desire to harm, enjoying harm, spite
- Deceit: the act of representing as true, what is known to be false. It is not necessarily a “lie”, just is not representing things rightly.
- Hypocrisy: acting a part, faking it
- Envy: discontent and ill will because of another’s advantages.
- Slander: spreading false statements harmful to another’s reputation
Narrow is the way, isn’t it!
“All” means “all”. Get rid of it all. Of every kind. In yourself. Only.
Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good. According to 1 Corinthians 3:2-3, if you need milk, you will:
- Walk in jealousy
- Be quarrelsome
- Be worldly
- Act like a mere human
- Worry about denominations
And long after you have tired of these things, the Word will still be enduring…
According Ephesians 4:14, if you need milk, you will:
- Be tossed about by waves, blown here and there by every teaching, every craftiness, and every deceitful scheming.