Q: What Does Dating Have to Do With Jesus?
A: Everything. Absolutely everything.
Dating is an extremely spiritual thing, and we don’t get that.
Fasten your seatbelt and we’ll fly through a short course in truth.
- Adam was the first Adam. Jesus was the second Adam. Don’t have to get that, just remember it for later.
- Adam looked the animals over, trying to make sense of things and could not find a suitable helper. Jesus came to earth and spent 3 years seeking a suitable helper.
- God opened Adam’s side and produced his wife. God opened Jesus’ side and from it sprang the Church.
- “I go away to prepare a place for you, that where I am, you may be also,” is wording of the marriage covenant. (See John 14:2)
- Marriage is supposed to picture the relationship between Christ and the Church. (See Ephesians 5:23)
- When we disobey our husbands, it is a picture of the Church disobeying Jesus.
- When we look around at other husbands, it is a picture of the Church envying other religions.
- When we trade him in for another man, it is a picture of the Church taking in Satan and his ways.
When we date…
…we are spending time with another man (not our husband, since we are not married to the poor guy) and since he likely will marry someday, he is actually someone else’s husband! Imagine!
And the picture between Christ and the Church gets really muddy.